Fortress of S.Pedro da Barra
Province: Luanda (North of the Country)
The Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra", situated on the ancient "Morro
de Kassandama", actually "Ngola Kiluange" quarter, in Luanda.
In 1663, the King of Portugal sent to raise a strong defence of the
"Barra de Luanda". It means that although the Portress of "S. Pedro da
Barra" has been founded in 1703, another more ancient fortress was built
in same place to offer more solidity to the portuguese occupation and
this went a long way to give a bigger protection to its economic
benefits in the region.
For years, and when the incursions of the other colonial potencies
were stopped, the Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra" was used as a lodging
of slaves in transit, arising from the Factories (Feitorias) of the
"Sertao", and who were sent to the lands of "New World" (America).
It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 1057,
10 of November of 1932.
It is badly preserved, on account of its successive functions
(military and defensive). It is also a state property, and- the
responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the
Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Culture.