Ruin of M'banza Kongo
Province: Zaire (North of
M'banza Kongo was a very important political and administrative
Center, because it was the capital of the very old kingdom of kongo,
which expanded from Angola at actual Republic of Kongo.
The first portuguese contact with the king of Kongo is since 1490 and
took place in the capital of M'banza Kongo where was inatalled the
diocese of Angola and Kongo.
Actually, M'banza Kongo still contains an irnportant number of
edifications or evidencies which belongs to the XVI Century such as: The
old Cathedral Ruins, built in the same place where the first church in
the south of the equator was built by the portugueses, before; The
residence of the kings of the Kongo, where is now the Museum of the
Kongo kingdom; The kings tomb, and many others edifications which are an
extraordinary report of the past and the historical, cultural,
archaeologic, religious and even political points of view.
The historical area of M'banza Kongo, was classified in 1957, due its
great importance for the Angolan Cutural Heritage, for the African
Continent, for the Central Africa, and even for the World.