Fortress of Massanganu
Province: Kwanza - Norte (North of the Country)
The Fortress was founded by Cerveira Pereira in 1583, and would come
to widen the zone of the portuguese occupation.The portugueses had been
repelled by the Ngola, when in 1582, Paulo Dias de Novais, tried to
penetrate in the region, estimulated by the 4 legend of Silver Mines.
The aim of its building was to destroy the resistance showed by the
natives, marking its armed presence and to guarantee solidity to the
networks of illegal slaves traffic.
Massanganu was considered a gold mine, where a lot of people was
captured to become cheap man-power in plantations and mines of the
Europeans in american lands. It was classified by the Provincial Decret
n.81, 28 of April of 1923.